it came to my attention recently that maybe everyone doesn’t know the behind-the-scenes activities which makes The Shore Grief Center tick.
Ideally we would have a person to handle each of the following roles but as nonprofits run on donations, that’s not the case as we don’t have the funds. Each task gets done by myself currently. (P.S. I’m always hopeful I can reward myself with a small salary but that’s not always possible.)
- Event planning
- Grant writer
- Volunteer coordinator
- Social media
- Webmaster (3 websites)
I feel sure I missed a few roles but you get the picture. We do not have office space so we save at least $1,000/month there!
So the moral of this blog is – your donation to The Shore Grief Center is needed greatly! If not for the meager salary I receive for the many roles I handle, then for the following items which are vital to accomplish our mission:
- Website – there’s the cost of keeping the web domains yearly plus other costs
- Insurance – we must have!
- Phone – I get phone calls at all times during the day and night. This is a vital link to those seeking help after a death.
- Literature and other handouts for groups
- Office supplies – gotta have ink to print handouts, etc.
- Mileage – to events and getting to groups (Cary, Wilson, Raleigh, Wake Forest and Youngsville)
- Arts and crafts supplies – for kids and teens groups. And new this year, we’re trying some mindful crafts at Bereaved Parent groups
- Meals at children’s and teens groups – this helps the harried parents or caregivers.
- Postage – for mailing out letters and outreach info
- Advertising – mostly on Facebook, print is far too expensive
- Fees related to taking online credit card donations
- Salary for Executive Director
If you can volunteer your time at one or more of the roles I listed, that would be great! But please, please consider becoming a sustaining member by donating monthly to help us stay afloat. Here’s the link to donate online – either once or monthly. You can always help by mailing a check, too (info on our website).
In next blog, I’ll share everything The Shore does to help others.
Thanks for learning more about The Shore! And thank you volunteers who do help The Shore tick the best it can!
Founder and (exhausted) Executive Director